Here is where I will deposit all of the research I collect about my favorite trees, plants, shrubs, flowers, and when and where to plant them!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Dogwood Tree


Of course, I would be remiss if I didn't mention a long-time favorite that I have known for most of my life - the Dogwood, dear to every native Georgian heart.  I played inside their foliage as a child - it makes a perfect playhouse, with an open area around the trunk while the branches leaf out almost to the ground all around as it matures.  Mid-spring blooming season (after the Bradford Pears, which are the early spring bloomers), usually bloom around mid- to late April, although this year was unusual - the groundhog was spot-on with his prediction of an early spring this year!  It got warm around February 9, and except for a few cool fronts, spring was here to stay!  (It has not dipped below freezing since then!!).  So everthing bloomed early this year - the Bradford pears actually started budding in February, bloomed in March, and the dogwoods started blooming in late March!

No comments:

Post a Comment